Friday, April 17, 2009

Final Self-Assessment

When the semester first began, I remember telling everyone in my SIPS class that I knew NOTHING about technology . . . that I barely even knew how to burn a CD. However, throughout the semester I have been shown that using technology is not that hard, and that it is actually a benefit to student learning.

My attention has been brought to many great websites, my favourite being www.ted.com. This website doesn't necessarily teach people how to use technology, but it does allow for a lot of thinking and self-reflection. Many of the talks are thought provoking and leaves me wanting to hear and research more about the topic.

I also liked that we had a chance to talk about the use of blogs, etc. I always thought blogs were a waste of time and mostly done by "computer nerds," but I have since learned that this is not the case. It is a great way for classrooms to showcase their learning and to collaborate as well. In addition, our class had many discussions about web safety, which is a big deal in 2009. Safety is my number one concern for my students, and it was great to learn what to expect (in terms of internet safety) and where to go for more information/help.

Technology has become such a common part of everyday life - one can't go a day without the use of any recent technology . . . in fact, one can't go an hour without the use of recent technology. As I gain more experience in the classroom, I hope to also gain experience with technology.

1 comment:

  1. I am delighted to read about all of the new technology skills and insights you have gained in the SIPS Seminar! As I mentioned in the last class, I believe I learned just as much if not more than each of you - what a great semester with great students!!
    Michele

    ReplyDelete